WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather has rubbed some boxing fans the wrong way by demanding that prospective opponents undergo random Olympic style drug tests, but Miguel Cotto isn’t one of them.
Cotto has no problems with Mayweather’s request to undergo random drug tests for their May 5 bout, and the Puerto Rican boxer actually thinks it’s good for the sport.
“In sports, if it’s something about skills, conditioning or preparation, you have to be [clean],” Cotto said. “In all sports you have to be [clean] and if you can contribute to make the sport better and more clean, I’m not mad about that.… It’s the same system used in the Olympics in 2000. It’s a simple pinch. Four to six time during camp. It’s not going to be bigger than a spoon of blood. It isn’t going to take anything out of me.… I agree with [it] because I’m a sportsman and all I want is a clean, more clean sport the people can trust. People can sit in their homes and watch real fighters who are not using anything to have an advantage.”
Cotto’s take on the subject of Olympic style testing is pretty refreshing; given the fact other fighters haven’t been so accepting in the past.
Mayweather’s arch rival, Manny Pacquiao, balked at the idea of Olympic style testing during 2009 negotiations between the two camps.
“We appeased Mayweather by agreeing to a urine analysis at any time, and blood testing before the press conference and after the fight,” Manny Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, said back then. “Mayweather pressed for blood testing even up to the weigh-in. He knew that Manny gets freaked out when his blood gets taken, and feels that it weakens him.”
Pacquiao’s refusal to undergo Olympic style testing back in 2009 certainly raised a few brows, and the excuses his camp came up with were simply unacceptable. He eventually changed his mind on the subject, but by then the damage had already been done.